“The Rock” game is an interesting game that works well for both kids and adults. You can adjust the complexity depending on the age group of players.
One person throws some rocks. Other players will find out the trick and guess how many rocks the thrower threw.
Read this post until the end if you want to try this idea for your next gathering with your friends. You will discover some exciting tips to nail it!
What Do You Need?
There are some things to check before you start:
Although we call this game “The Rock,” we don’t need any rocks here. So you don’t have to prepare anything beforehand.
Number of players
A group of eight to ten people is ideal for this activity. You can play in a small group. Yet, with too few players, “The Rock” must be boring.
On the other hand, with more than 25 individuals, it becomes impossible to interact.
You can play “The Rock” anywhere but make sure that the space can accommodate all players sitting in a circle.
How To Play The Rock Game?
This guessing game is quite simple to understand. However, you may find it hard to become the winner.
The rock thrower must understand the trick for the game to run properly. He has the option to play alone or with a group of others.
How to play
The thrower collects and tosses invisible rocks away. Let’s suppose that he picked up three rocks and hurled them.
Then, he asks the players: “How many rocks did I throw?”
He threw three, but the answer here is six because the rule of this game is about how many words he uses to ask.
In this case, the sentence “How many rocks did I throw” has six words. So, if you want to win, you have to answer: You threw six rocks.
If a player correctly answers, the thrower rechallenges him to ensure he doesn’t win by choosing a number at random.
If a player believes he knows the trick, he can whisper to the thrower. The thrower can determine if they understand the rule or not.
The accurate guesser will be the thrower for the next round. He can set his own rule then.
The key to “The Rock” is that you have to figure out the hidden trick. The rock thrower determines that rule, so observing him must be the apparent method to win.
Sometimes, if you guess the number incorrectly, you will get eliminated. The game ends when no one makes it right, and the winner here is the thrower.
Besides, you can set some rules to fit your group and make the game harder. For example, each player can only guess three times, and there is no discussion between the guessers during the game.
There may be some people that just observe and wait for hints. You can set a rule by asking everyone to guess the first interval.
You should think of a complex or unexpected trick to challenge the players as a thrower.
As a player, give guesses as many as you can. There must be someone that names the correct number.
Even though that guesser has no idea about the trick, other players have a hint as a result.
Tips For The Rock
How to make the players find it challenging to figure out the game rule? You can try these tips for this purpose.
Distract the players
Whether you know the secret or not, the misdirection is perhaps the most fun and most annoying part of “The Rock.”
There are many ways for keeping people from discovering the trick, including:
- Emphasizing the introductory narration so that the players may assume that the secret is in it.
- Throwing some things. The players may think that the correct answer is the number of the objects you throw.
- Talking or clapping while throwing rocks to draw the players’ attention away.
- Giving the players only one hint and repeating it. They will find it annoying and can’t focus on finding the rule.
Think of the trick that nobody expects
You can use the number of words in your sentence as a trick. Besides, try other ideas that nobody expects, such as:
- Tossing half the number of the object that the answer has. For example, throw six rocks, and the answer is three.
- Using the trick related to something you can’t change, like the number of players. Note that this number shouldn’t be too noticeable, such as 13.
- Use a complicated mathematical formula as a trick. Try throwing four rocks. Then, multiply three by 2, then add 1 and subtract 3. The answer is 6 (4 x 2 + 1 – 3 = 6)
Punishment For The Game
Games will be much funnier if there are some punishments for the losers. The following ideas work perfectly for all ages:
- Make a profile image of yourself with an awkward selfie.
- Open the door and imitate a wolf or any animal for 30 seconds.
- Let another person wrap duct tape on your body and then pull it off.
- Talk very loud till the next round, as if no one can hear you.
- Make a phone call to your crush.
- Allow somebody to style your hair and remain it for the end of the game.
- Let somebody paint your front teeth black.
- Post a confession to your crush on social media.
This video has some interesting ideas for punishment. Check it out and consider which works best for your group.
Games Like The Rock Game
If you like the idea of guessing, there are some alternatives to the Rock game that you may want to try, such as:
Rock or No Rock
Tell your group ahead of time whether or not you intend to place the rock in somebody’s hand.
In each round, everyone tries to figure out if the leader has put the rock in the hands of a member of the group or not.
Follow the leader
One player is the guesser. He has no idea who plays the role of leader among other players.
All of the participants will imitate the leader’s motions and gestures. If the guesser correctly identifies the leader, he wins.
If he guesses incorrectly three times, the others win.
In A Nutshell
It’s not just physical games that are fun. If you want to change the atmosphere of your gathering, try “The Rock”, which is both thrilling and competitive.
Hopefully, you will have some ideas for your next party and camping trip. If you need any further information, please feel free to ask. Thank you for reading!