Big booty is an icebreaker for parties or class activities that both kids and adults can enjoy, so no one gets left out. It is a clapping and chanting game where you need to focus all your attention on keeping up with the rhythm.
The game revolves around the circle creating a harmonizing rhythm of claps and chants with a specific lyric.
The rule of the game is to pay attention so that when it is a player’s turn, he/she keeps in tune with the rhythm.
It is imperative not to make any mistakes or break the chant as that would either result in rearranging the numbers of the players or elimination of the player.
How to Play the Game
Set up the game
- Set the game up by gathering at least 3 or maximum 15 players.
- Players must know the rules before starting the game.
- Then, the players give each other numbers and one player, who is the leader, is titled the ‘Big Booty’.
- The numbering is done from either the left or right side of the leader.
- Everyone must remember their number so that they are ready to roll when it is their turn.
- Before starting the game, the leader comes up with a specific beat and all the players practice it. It can be a clap, a pat or a thud. All the players pick a rhythm and beat that they can chant to.
- The players practice the chant and clap with prominent parts in the song. On one ‘Booty’ they clap, while on the other, they pat.
It’s a call and response game so it goes like the call to big booty then the leader repeats his title and says a random number. The player with the number then says while staying in rhythm.
- This is done in setting up the game, so everyone knows how to play the game.
- The leader ‘big booty’ starts the game by creating a rhythm. The leader sometimes starts easy with just claps and then later as the game progresses, the leader can alternate it with pats and thuds and stomps.
- The beginning of the game and rhythm is slow-paced. As there might be participants who are playing it for the first time, a slow start is good. The game is challenging even at a slow pace.
- Secondly, after the rhythm, the chant starts. Again, it is the leader who starts. Either the leader gestures to the group to start the chant or does a countdown like, ‘in three, two, one, start’, and then the group chants big booty, big booty.
- When both are established the chant starts;
- Booty, Big Booty, Big Booty… Aaah yeah!
- In the beginning, it might be just four claps, which is the easiest version.
- As the game progresses, the leader can alternate. For instance, first a clap then a pat.
- Booty, Big Booty, Big Booty, Ah yeah (clap, pat, clap, pat)
- Booty: Big Booty, Number Two. (single pat, single stump)
Two: Number Two, Number Six. (single clap, single pat)
- Number: Number Six, Big Booty. (single pat, single pat)
- Booty: Big Booty, Number Seven. (double clap)
- Seven: Number Seven, Number Three. (single clap, single clap)
- The players can change the rhythm, by alternating claps and pats and chanting but they cannot pause or stop the rhythm. If a player does, he goes to the highest number.
- The players can also call back to big booty and try to get them to make a mistake to win the title of big booty.
- The game continues and if one player makes a mistake, the player is either eliminated or the numbers are rearranged.
- In the chant, when a player makes a mistake, all the players must chant together and say “Oh Snap” and then reorganize numbers to take out big booty.
So, when the chant is going and the players call each other and the other players respond to the call, the game will pause when a player makes a mistake.
One of those mistakes in the rhythm like he or she does not respond quickly to his call.
So if a player with number three says: Number three, number five.
- And number five does not respond. He goes to the right of the big booty when the count has started from left.
- Secondly, if a player talks or chants or speaks up when his or her number is not called say, a player with number three speaks up when number four is called. He is either eliminated or taken to the highest number on the right of the leader.
- When the player responds but says the same number who called the player.
For example, if player number six calls number seven and then number seven calls number six again, the player with number seven is taken to the highest number.
- The game requires more and more concentration as it picks up speed. If a player is not active enough, he/she is bound to make a mistake or hinder the rhythm.
- In the beginning, the players will only reorganize numbers if a player makes a mistake. But as the game continues, elimination starts as well.
- The player who makes a mistake will be eliminated and the group becomes smaller and the rhythm and pace quicken.
- The rules are followed and every player with a number aims to become the big booty themselves.
- So, when a player takes Big Booty’s place, that player wins the game.
Adaptation (Tips to Play)
- One of the important tips to play this game is the preparation before the game. It is a group activity and this game requires a lot of coordination and cooperation among the players. So, the players take the setup before the game as seriously as the game itself.
- Slow-paced rhythm helps the new players become accustomed to the game and play for a while to get used to it, so that when the speed picks up and the rhythm changes, they can catch up as well.
- First-time players start this game with the survival version, so no players are eliminated in the beginning. They are just taken to the highest number when they make a mistake, and the rhythm follows.
- More and more calls to the leader and big booty keep the leader on toes and the players gradually fasten the pace of the rhythm.
- Concentration and attention are the most important part of this game, as you need to respond as soon as possible. Because this game requires undivided attention, it is a great way to interact.
- When the players mess up the numbers or otherwise get stuck, one player yells ‘Big Booty, break it down’ and then everyone has a dance break for 30 seconds after which the circle comes back and the game continues.
How to make the game funnier
Variations in Oh Snap
- The players can say different phrases when a player makes a mistake, such as the following:
- Shucks! Aw Shoot! Oh, Gotcha! Oh Shit!
Use different names instead of numbers
- The players can give each other unusual names like those of superheroes: superman, batman, spiderman, Catwoman, or wonder woman. Kids can pick their favorite cartoon characters, like Cinderella, Aurora, Olaf, Simba, and other such names.
- Establish an order
- Make it even more fun and complex, add an order of names.
For instance, Cinderella will come after Belle, so if someone says it the other way round, they will be eliminated. This makes the game more difficult, as the players have to remember the order along with their name and call.
Add more beats as the game proceeds
- The game starts with simple slow beats but as the game proceeds, the players can add more complex beats from a single clap four times to single claps alternated with single pats, or double claps and a single pat and then a single stump.
- Another fun element to add to Big Booty is a prize
- player who has the longest chant tries or wins the place of big booty leaves the game with a prize. As there is a prize to win, everyone becomes more interested in playing the game and pay their utmost attention.
- Dance moves
- times when the game is stuck, Big Booty pauses the game and lets everyone dance for half a minute. That is the time where each player can show their quirky dance moves. Moreover, it lets the players loosen up.
Big Booty is an excellent game for parties and is the best because it is for all ages and genders. Children will have a blast playing this game because they love making noise.
You can find many other tutorials for such fun games on our site. We hope you find this tutorial useful and have an enjoyable time with your friends and family playing Big Booty.
You are welcome to leave your suggestions, feedback, and fun stories of your experience playing such games.